The 480th Fighter Squadron was reactivated on 13 Aug 2010, back at Spangdahlem AB, West Germany, with F-16CM Block-50 assets from the 22nd FS, which was inactivated. The 480th FS took the role of USAFE’s SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defense) asset. The Warhawks have since continued to distinguish themselves in combat operations Operation Odyssey Dawn over Libya, Operation New Dawn in Iraq, and in Afghanistan.
In November of 1976 the 480th Tactical Fighter Squadron was reactivated at Spangdahlem AB, Germany, as part of the 52nd TFW (later the 52nd Fighter Wing). Flying the F-4D, the unit was tasked with maintaining an operationally ready nuclear strike capability, conventional attack, interdiction, armed reconnaissance, and close air support missions. Three years later, in 1979, the squadron gained additional capabilities by transitioning to the F-4E (outfitted with the ARN-101 Digital Modular Avionics System). The squadron earned an AF Outstanding Unit Award, 1 Jul 1978 – 30 Jun 1980.
The 480th TFS began operations from DaNang AB in February of 1966 as part of the 2nd Air Division, attached to the 6252nd Tactical Fighter Wing. In April 1966 the 480th and the 6252nd TFW became part of Seventh Air Force, and soon after joined the 480th joined the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing. On 1…
480TFS reactivated 30 Apr 1962, assigned to USAFE at Chaumont Air Base, France (8 May 1962), and later at Phalsbourg AB, France (20 Dec 1962), as part of the 366th TFW once again. Flew F-84s in training operations and participated in numerous USAFE exercises, including deployments back to Wheelus AB, Libya. During the Cuban Missile…
Constituted 30 Aug 1957. Activated 25 Sep 1957. Inactivated 30 Apr 1959. Flying F-84 “Thunder Jets” as part of 366th Fighter-Bomber Wing (renamed the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing in 1958) at England AFB, Louisiana. Became first tactical unit in the 366th to transition to the F-100 Super Sabre, as well as continued flying F-84s. Redesignated…
Activated 16 Apr 1951. Inactivated 18 Oct 1956. B-29s, C-119s, and SA-16s. Provided evacuation and supply support to Ranger-type personnel in enemy occupied territory. Conducted training in the delivery of psychological warfare propaganda. At Wheelus, the 580th trained extensively in preparation for the wartime mission of packaging and aerial delivery of supplies and equipment as…
Constituted: 9 July 1942. Activated: 15 July 1942. Inactivated 1 May 1944
First constituted as the 480th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) as part of the 336th Bombardment Group (Medium). Served as a replacement training unit (RTU) for medium bomber crews in the B-26 Marauder.
MacDill Field, FL (15 Jul 1942)
Ft. Myers, FL (10 Aug 1942)
Avon Park, FL (13 Dec 1942)
MacDill Field, FL (13 Oct 1943)
Lake Charles AAFld, LA (8 Nov 1943 to 1 May 1944).
Capt. Alfred D. Belsma, 15 Jul 1942.
Capt. Chesley I. Swann, 16 Jul 1943.
Maj. Gerald J. Crosson, 8 Sep 1943 – 1 May 1944.
American Theater (WWII) Service Streamer